Trinity Episcopal Church in Charlotte Hall is one of two churches under the Trinity Parish. Oldfields Chapel in Hughesville is the second.
A simple, rectangular, Flemish bond structure with later lancet arched windows and doors, Trinity Church was built in 1756 to serve Trinity Parish established in 1744. A vestry house, built at the same time and no longer standing, was used as a school in the 1850's and among its students was William Wirt, the U. S. Attorney General who prosecuted Aaron Burr. Like many of the area's early Protestant churches, the original five bay building was altered in the nineteenth century. It was at this time that the roof was raised, the lancet arches, new windows and doors installed, and the interior completely renovated. In the 1920's and 30's a brick chancel, sanctuary, sacristry and choir room were added to the east end.
[ More info & photo ]