Submitted by: Trevor Bothwell
From "50 Ways to Impress Your Girlfriend's Parents"
- 16 ounces (1 box) penne pasta
- 1/2 of 1 red onion, sliced into half-rings
- 1/2 of 1 red pepper, quartered and cut into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 4 to 6 cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 14-1/2 ounce can Italian style diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup plain or basil and tomato feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and some to cook
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and some to cook
After you have prepared all of your vegetables, bring water to a boil over high heat in a stockpot (at least 6 quarts) and add penne noodles. Once pasta is done, add 2 Tbs. of oil to a large saute pan and sweat onion, garlic, and red pepper for about 10 minutes.
Once complete, add artichoke hearts to pan and cook for a few more minutes. Follow by adding diced tomatoes (if you are using unseasoned diced tomatoes, simply add extra oregano, pepper, etc. to give them flavor).
Let simmer for a few minutes and add your pasta (drained and rinsed). Season with salt and pepper as well as crushed red pepper, oregano, and basil.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and add olives. Drizzle some red wine vinegar over your pasta, add sour cream, and finish off with crumbled feta cheese (I prefer basil and tomato). Toss the mixture (if you're brave) or stir with a wooden spoon.
Serve this pasta in pasta bowls and garnish with parsley or chopped scallions and parmesan cheese.
Yield: 4 Servings