Southern Maryland Online - Serving Calvert County, Charles County, St. Mary's County, Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Naval Surface Warfare Center.  Click here to go to the Front Page of
| Write Us | Help | Sponsors | Classifieds | Employment | Forums | MarketPlace | Calendar | Headlines | Announcements | Weather | More... |
[ Photos Home | Index Page ] [ First | Previous | Next | Last ]
Click to see thumbs page
St. Clement's Island as seen from the water taxi as we return to the mainland. In early March of 1634, Governor Leonard Calvert and his colony of English settlers landed on this island, which they named after St. Clement, the fourth pope and patron saint of sailors. After a voyage of more than four months, the Ark and the Dove arrived safely in the new colony of Maryland. The island afforded protection for the Maryland colonists from nearby Indians believed to be hostile.

In 1639, St. Clements Island was included in an 11,400 acre grant to Dr. Thomas Gerard. In 1669, his daughter Elizabeth married Nehemiah Blackistone and the island was given to her as part of her dowry. For the next 193 years and until 1962, the island was known as Blackistone Island.

[ Photos Home | Index Page ] [ First | Previous | Next | Last ]
All photographs are the copyrighted property of Virtually Everything, Inc.