Lusby House Fire Started by Hot Embers from Fireplace Placed in Garage - Southern Maryland Headline News

Lusby House Fire Started by Hot Embers from Fireplace Placed in Garage


CALLAWAY, Md. (Feb. 10, 2016)—A Lusby couple was displaced from their two story home this morning. The accidental fire was a result of improperly discarded embers from the fireplace placed in the garage. The fire occurred around 9:50 a.m. at 12442 Dalton Trail.

There were no injuries.

Damages were estimated at $200,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents.

The one-alarm fire involved forty firefighters from Solomons, St. Leonard, Prince Frederick, Hollywood, and Bay District Volunteer Fire Departments. It took approximately 45 minutes to control the blaze.

The fire was discovered by one of the two occupants. The home had a smoke alarm which functioned properly.

Two couple is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Deputy fire marshals M. Decker, J. Nelson, and B. Shepperd investigated.

Sponsored Content

Reader Comments

Featured Sponsor

Home Helpers of Southern Maryland
We offer flexible care plans to fit any budget or need.

Follow SoMd HL News