CALLAWAY, Md. (Feb. 6, 2016)—U.S. Marine Corps Maj. Jason C. Copeland, the commanding officer of Marine Corps Recruiting Station Baltimore, presented Rick Sneade with the Semper Fidelis Coach of the Year Award during the Glazier Football Clinic at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Baltimore, Saturday, February 6. Sneade is the head football coach for Calvert High School in Prince Frederick.
According to Maj. Copeland, the Semper Fi Coach Award is to recognize a high school football coach who exemplifies the Marine Corps motto—Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)—and who models the Marine Corps leadership values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment. A Semper Fi Coach is not defined by winning records or championship titles, but rather as a man who creates a legacy of intentional leadership.
“The United States Marine Corps is proud to honor a coach who is building a lasting tradition through his selfless commitment to his team and his community,” said Maj. Copeland. “That coach is Rick Sneade.”
“I enjoy intentionally using the game of football to significantly impact and transform lives,” said Snead.
Sneade said he and his fellow coaches find great joy in watching each one of their players live in their greatness.
“Everyone has their own journey and each has greatness in them,” said Sneade. “Our roles as coaches is to get that out of them. We try to model of servant leadership and as such we expect our young men to not only become enlightened through our program but to go out and impact others.”
Sneade is also proud of how his team contributes to the community. He said team members serve as harvesters for Farming 4 Hunger, make trips to the local Veterans home, support and mentor at summer youth camps, and visit many of the local schools.
“In the end we are attempting to grow Uncommon Men. So we get excited when we see our guys living beyond the scoreboard and the field. When they embrace the purpose of being used to shape and transform others.”
Maj. Copeland summarized Coach Sneade, saying, “his character and actions speak louder than a state championship. Rick Sneade is a man who embodies the Marine Corps values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment.”
Coach Sneade's High School Coaching Background
• 2011–present: Head Football Coach and Director of Strength and Performance at Calvert High School
• 2005–2011: Varsity Football Coach, Strength and Conditioning Coach, Track Coach at Huntington High School
• 2002–2004: Football Graduate Assistant, Strength and Conditioning Coach at University of Maryland
• 1999–2002: Varsity Football Coach and Strength and Conditioning Coach at Calvert High School
• 1995–1999: JV Football Coach, JV Baseball Coach, Strength and Conditioning Coach at Northern High School
Coach Sneade's Accomplishments
• In 2015, took Calvert to the playoffs for the first time in 13 years
• Coached 3 SMAC Championship teams, 4 Regional Championship teams, 1 state finalist team, and 1 State Championship Team in his time as a coach
• Football grad assistant for the University of Maryland when they were the 2003 Peach Bowl Champions and the 2004 Gator Bowl Champions