Winter GUIDE Available Online Dec. 2
The Charles County Department of Community Services winter edition of The GUIDE is available online starting Wednesday, Dec. 2 at www.CharlesCountyParks.com. Online registration for most programs is available. The winter Guide is online only.
The GUIDE is a convenient resource listing current activities offered by the Department of Community Services. The GUIDE features classes, trips, and activities for everyone from toddlers to seniors, including leisure classes, swim lessons, sports programs, school-based recreation center programs and registration details.
For more information on other events and opportunities offered by the Department of Community Services, visit www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/CS or call 301-934-9305 or 301-870-3388. The Department of Community Services can also be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CharlesCountyParksRecreation.
Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.
Community Services Announces December Holiday Events
The Department of Community Services is pleased to announce upcoming seasonal recreational activities.
Swimming with Santa (Saturday, Dec. 12): Take your child to this unique, underwater interaction with Santa at Lackey pool (3000 Chicamuxen Road, Indian Head) from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Grab your swimsuit and join Santa in the pool for holiday fun and games. The fee is $5 per person, and includes underwater photos with Santa. Registration is accepted at the door based on availability.
Santa Hotline (Monday, Dec. 14): Santa Claus is coming to town! Through the power of technology and special North Pole operators, our hotline will transfer a special phone call from Santa right to your home. Experience the joy and pleasure in your little ones face when they get a call from Santa. This is a free program for children aged 2-10 years old. Calls will be placed from 6-8 p.m. There are no out-of-state calls. Limited to the first 200 completed registration forms received.
For more information or to register for these events, visit the winter GUIDE at www.CharlesCountyParks.com or call the Department of Community Services at 301-934-9305 or 301-932-6004. For a complete list of the winter recreational events and activities, please visit the GUIDE at www.CharlesCountyParks.com.
Board of Elections Seeks Election Judges for 2016 Presidential Elections
The Charles County Board of Elections is looking for persons interested in being Election Judges for the 2016 Primary and General elections. The primary election is scheduled for Tuesday, April 26, 2016 and the general election will be held Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2016.
Who can be an Election Judge?
You are eligible if you:
• Are registered to vote in Maryland
• Are not a candidate for any public or political party office
• Are detailed oriented and can speak, read and write the English language
• Are a motivated person who can endure long hours (6 a.m. 10 p.m.) You may not leave at any time
• Can provide your own transportation to and from your assigned polling place
• Enjoy meeting people and serving the public
• Able to lift 50 pounds
What does an Election Judge do?
In accordance with Federal and State law, you must perform all of the duties assigned to you by the Local Board of Elections and perform your duties faithfully, diligently and without partiality or prejudice.
• Prepare the polling place for voting
• Check voters in
• Instruct voters on how to use the voting equipment
• Maintain the security of voting materials
• Close the polling place
Is an Election Judge paid?
Yes. Judges are paid a base amount dependent on their assigned ppositions, per election as well as $30 for attending the required training class. You will be paid by the county within 4-6 weeks.
Citizens interested in becoming an Election Judge should go www.charlescountymd.gov/boe/welcome and complete the prospective judge form. For more information contact the Charles County Board of Elections, at 301-934-8972 or Elections@CharlesCountyMD.gov. Citizens with special needs, contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.
Seasons Traditions Abound at Third Annual Holiday Trail
From Friday, Dec. 11 through Sunday, Dec. 13, the 2015 Charles County Holiday Trail will offer locals and visitors alike an opportunity to get into the holiday spirit while visiting county landmarks. Admission costs, dates, and times vary with location. All sites will have a donation box for non-perishable food items for the Southern Maryland Food Bank. For more information and a detailed schedule of each location, visit www.CharlesCountyHolidayTrail.com.
The following are featured locations:
· Christ Church Old Durham Parish (8700 Ironsides Road, Nanjemoy)
· Christ Church Port Tobacco Parish (110 Charles Street, La Plata)
· Friendship House (8730 Mitchell Road, La Plata)
· Historic La Plata Holiday Lights Walking Tour (305 Queen Anne Street, La Plata)
· Indian Head Center for the Arts Black Box Theater (4185 Indian Head Highway, Indian Head)
· Kris Kringle Christmas Market (8440 Fairgrounds Road, La Plata)
· Maryland Veterans Memorial Museum (1000 Crain Highway, Newburg)
· Mattawoman Creek Art Center (2750 Sweden Point Road, Marbury)
· Maxwell Hall (17388 Teagues Point Road, Hughesville)
· Mount Aventine, Chapman State Park (3452 Ferry Place, Indian Head)
· Mount Carmel Monastery (5678 Mount Carmel Road, La Plata)
· Old Waldorf School (3074 Crain Highway, Waldorf)
· Port Tobacco Historic Village (8430 Commerce Street, Port Tobacco)
· Port Tobacco One-Room School House (7215 Chapel Point Road, Port Tobacco)
· Serenity Farm (6932 Serenity Farm Road, Benedict)
· Smallwood Retreat House (2750 Sweden Point Road, Marbury)
· St. Thomas Manor at St. Ignatius Catholic Church (8855 Chapel Point Road, Port Tobacco)
· Thomas Stone National Historic Site (6655 Rose Hill Road, Port Tobacco)
This event is made possible in part by the Southern Maryland Heritage Area Consortium and the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority.
For more information on Holiday Trail locations, visit www.CharlesCountyHolidayTrail.com, or call the Crain Memorial Welcome Center at 1-800-766-3386, or email at WelcomeCenter@CharlesCountyMD.gov. Citizens with special needs, contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.