Calvert County Government
The Calvert County Board of County Commissioners announces that county offices will be closed Monday, Sept. 7, in observance of the Labor Day holiday. In addition:
• The county senior centers will be closed and Meals on Wheels will not be delivered.
• There will be no county bus service.
• Calvert Library locations will be closed Saturday, Sept. 5 through Monday, Sept. 7.
• Mt. Hope, Southern and Northeast community centers will be closed Sept. 7.
• The Appeal Landfill and county convenience centers will be closed Sept. 7.
• Chesapeake Hills Golf Course will be open with regular hours.
• The Calvert Marine Museum will be open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Flag Ponds Nature Park will be open Saturday, Sept. 5 and Sunday, Sept. 6, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. The park will be open Monday, Sept. 7, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Kings Landing Park will be open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
• Battle Creek Cypress Swamp will be open Saturday, Sept. 5, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Sunday, Sept. 6, from 1-6 p.m. and Monday, Sept. 7, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Kings Landing and Cove Point Park pools will open with regular hours all weekend and will close for the season at 8 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 7.
• Edward Hall Aquatic Center will be closed for the holiday weekend and will reopen after several weeks of maintenance on Tuesday, Sept. 8. The aquatic centers hours of operation will be Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Charles County Government
The Charles County Commissioners wish to remind residents of the following offices and facility schedule changes for Labor Day holiday on Monday, Sept. 7.
The following offices will be closed for normal business hours:
• All Charles County Government offices and the Tri-County Animal Shelter in Hughesville
• The Charles County Landfill and Recycling Center, Pisgah Recycling Center, and Piney Church Road Mulch Facility
• VanGO services
• All Senior Centers
• The Nanjemoy Community Center, Elite Gymnastics and Recreation Center, Port Tobacco Recreation Center and all other Community Centers
• Curbside recycling and yard waste collection will be delayed one day for the week, Sept. 7 to Sept. 11
• Charles County Public Library (All branches - Saturday, Sept. 5 thru Monday, Sept. 7)
• Charles County Department of Health
The following offices will be open for normal or modified business hours:
• The Crain Memorial Welcome Center located at 12480 Crain Highway in Newburg operating normal hours
• Lackey, Donald M. Wade Aquatic Center, and North Point High indoor pools will be open from 1 p.m. 9 p.m.
• Charles County Parks operating normal hours
• Port Tobacco Village (Port Tobacco Courthouse, Burch House, Stagg Hall) Tours are available by appointment.
For questions about County Government holiday closures, contact the Public Information Office at 301-885-2779 or PressRoom@CharlesCountyMD.gov. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.
St. Mary's County Government
All St. Mary's County Government administrative offices will be closed Monday, September 7 in observance of Labor Day. All offices will reopen Tuesday, September 8.
St. Andrews Landfill is closed on Sunday and Monday. Convenience centers and St. Mary's Transit System are closed on Monday.
Additionally, all three Senior Activity Centers (Garvey, Loffler and Northern) and three St. Mary's County Library branches (Charlotte Hall, Leonardtown and Lexington Park) will also be closed on September 7 and there will be no Meals on Wheels deliveries.
CSM Campuses Observe Labor Day Sept. 5-7
The College of Southern Maryland will be closed Saturday, Sept. 5 through
Monday, Sept. 7 in observance of Labor Day. The college will resume its normal
schedule Tuesday, Sept. 8.
Registration for all fall semester classes will be available throughout the
Labor Day weekend at www.csmd.edu through
online access at my.CSMD services.
Classes for fall mini-session II begin Monday, Oct. 26.
Prince George's Department of Parks and Recreation
The Department of Parks and Recreation facilities will operate on the following schedule this Labor Day, Monday, September 7:
• Indoor Pool Complexes: OPEN
• Outdoor Pool Complexes: OPEN
• Regional Parks: OPEN
• Historic Sites/Rentals: OPEN
• Community Centers and Arts Centers: CLOSED
• Senior Activity Centers: CLOSED
• Sports Facilities: OPEN
Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration
The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) will close all MVA offices on Monday, September 7 in observance of the Labor Day Holiday. All Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program (VEIP) stations will also close.
Customers should note that the days before and after a holiday are especially busy, and they are encouraged to go on-line to complete their MVA transaction. Most MVA transactions can be completed via the Internet (www.mva.maryland.gov) through the MVAs eMVA initiative, including payments for vehicle registration. eMVA makes a variety of routine transactions available electronically and they can be completed without the need to visit an MVA office. To reach eMVA and the available electronic transactions twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, log on to
www.mva.maryland.gov and click on Online Services.
Troopers Anticipate Higher Traffic Volume This Labor Day Weekend
With more economical gas prices this Labor Day weekend, troopers expect an increase in vehicle traffic on Maryland roads.
As Labor Day approaches, the Maryland State Police prepare statewide for an increase in traffic. Troopers remind motorists the most important objective while traveling is to arrive safely. The best ways to accomplish this are to know before you go, remove distractions from the vehicle, and never drink and drive.
Troopers will also be conducting high visibility traffic enforcement. Operations SHOWBOAT (SHOre-Wide Bullseye On Aggressive Traffic) and Millipede both will focus on aggressive driving, crash reduction, and impaired driving. Operation SHOWBOAT will concentrate its efforts on U.S. Route 50 from Anne Arundel County to Ocean City and U.S. Route 13 in Wicomico, Somerset, and Worcester counties. Operation Millipede will focus its efforts on I-95 from the Delaware Line to the Virginia Line.
These high visibility enforcement efforts are to reduce the number of aggressive driving motor vehicle crashes in which speed, alcohol and other driving violations are contributing factors to crashes on Maryland roads. Maryland State Police continue to support the Maryland Highway Safety Offices Move Toward Zero Deaths campaign. For additional travel information on Maryland roads, visit md511.org.