BOCC Pursues Acquisition of Former SMECO Property
The Board of County Commissioners voted last month to exercise a purchase option on the former SMECO district office complex on Dares Beach Road in Prince Frederick.
The 20-acre property includes a 14,000-square-feet office building and other structures. The funds for the $2.6-million purchase price would be bonded if the purchase moves forward.
Acquisition of the property will give the county several options as the Prince Frederick Town Center is further developed, including the potential for a community center. A public hearing on the acquisition will be held prior to the purchase.
Cove Point Lighthouse Earns World Acclaim
Calvert County's Cove Point Lighthouse was just named one of the 15 Picturesque Lighthouse Hotels Around the World by Fodor's Travel.
Paula Gray To Lead Office of Personnel
Paula Grover Gray was promoted to the position of director of the Calvert County Office of Personnel. Gray replaces Gail Davis Bourdon, who retired in June after 26 years of service. Gray has worked for Calvert County Government for 35 years.
Calvert County Expands Sunday Hours at Appeal Convenience Center
The Calvert County Board of County Commissioners voted Tuesday to expand the Sunday hours of operation at the Appeal Convenience Center located at the Appeal Landfill in Lusby. Effective Aug. 2, 2015, the Appeal Convenience Center will open at 10 a.m., instead of noon, and remain open until 7 p.m. on Sundays.
Residents are reminded there are seven convenience centers available free of charge for their bagged household trash, paper and commingled recyclables. The locations are as follows:
• Appeal Convenience Center: 410 Sweetwater Road in Lusby; Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday, 7 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sunday, 12-7 p.m. through Aug. 2, at which time the convenience center will open 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Ball Road Convenience Center: 1045 Ball Road in St. Leonard; Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; closed Sunday
• Barstow Convenience Center: 350 Stafford Road in Barstow; Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, noon-7 p.m.
• Huntingtown Convenience Center: 3666 Huntingtown Creek Road in Huntingtown; Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; closed Sunday
• Lusby Convenience Center: 11725 H.G. Trueman Road in Lusby; Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; closed Sunday
• Mt. Hope Convenience Center: 96 Pushaw Station Road in Sunderland; Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Plum Point Convenience Center: 2801 Plum Point Road in Huntingtown; Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; closed Sunday
Calvert County also offers a comprehensive recycling program that accepts everything from electronics and cooking oil to metal and clothing and oyster shells. The Calvert County Division of Solid Waste also provides a bulk pick-up program.
Cove Point Pool to Open Earlier Beginning Saturday, July 25
In response to requests for earlier openings at Cove Point Pool, the Calvert County Division of Parks and Recreation announces these new hours effective Saturday, July 25:
Monday-Friday, 6-8 a.m. (six lanes) and 8 a.m. -7:45 p.m. (two lanes)
Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-7:45 p.m. (two lanes)
Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7:45 p.m. (Leisure Pool and Wading Pool); noon- 7:45 p.m. (Lap Pool)
Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-7:45 p.m. (Leisure Pool, Wading Pool and Lap Pool)