St. Mary's Co. Gov. News Briefs - Southern Maryland Headline News

St. Mary's Co. Gov. News Briefs

Planning Commission Cancels Meeting

The St. Mary's County Planning Commission meeting, scheduled for Tuesday, October 14 has been canceled.

The commission's next meeting will be held on Monday, October 27 at 6:30 p.m. in the commissioners meeting room inside the Chesapeake Building in Leonardtown.

County Welcome Signs to glow Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness

For the month of October, St. Mary's County's welcome signs will again be bathed in pink light in the fight against breast cancer. The event is part of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure's statewide pink lighting project.

The three welcome signs are located along MD 234 (Budds Creek Road), MD 5 in Charlotte Hall (both at the Charles County line) and on MD 4 just south of the Thomas Johnson Bridge.

All three welcome signs will remain lit in pink each night through October 31.

Komen Maryland reports:

-- Maryland has the sixth highest breast cancer rate in the nation

-- An estimated 4,570 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed among women in Maryland in 2014 and 820 women are expected to die from the disease

-- There are more than 3 million Breast Cancer Survivors in the United States

-- 75% of Komen Maryland's net proceeds remain within the state to fund local research, screening, treatment and support service programs throughout Maryland. The remaining 25% goes directly to national peer reviewed research

-- In 2014, Komen Maryland has provided over one million dollars to 14 local research, screening, treatment and support service programs throughout Maryland. An additional $520,000 has gone directly to support national peer reviewed research through Komen Headquarters.

For more information about Susan G. Komen Maryland go to

Health Department Seeking Proposals for Community First Choice Nurse Monitoring Services

The St. Mary’s County Health Department is seeking proposals from agencies to provide Registered Nurse (RN) Nurse Monitoring services for clients in the Community First Choice program who are served in the St. Mary’s County area. To participate in the program as a nurse monitoring provider, the agency must be licensed as a residential service agency, a home health agency, a nursing referral service agency, or a nursing staff agency under the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).

Community First Choice is a program created by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that allows states the option to offer certain community-based services as a state plan benefit to individuals who meet an institutional level of care. The Nurse Monitor will provide the following services as defined in COMAR:

-- Develop provider instructions for personal assistance

-- Instruct the individual providing personal assistance services concerning the services required under the participant’s provider instructions, and about conditions which should be brought to the attention of the supports planner, nurse monitor, or personal physician

-- Be available to give instructions to, and answer questions from the provider

-- Comply with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene’s reportable events policy

-- Maintain an up-to-date client profile in the Long Term Support System (LTSS) database

The St. Mary’s County Health Department intends to award this contract on the basis of the evaluation of the agency’s experience and qualification, as well as the fee proposed. For more information about the Community First Choice Nurse Monitoring request for proposals, please visit the health department’s website at

Sponsored Content

Reader Comments

Featured Sponsor

Christie & Associates DDS, PA
Committed to helping you and your child develop dental health habits that will maintain oral health for a lifetime.

Follow SoMd HL News