Board of Education announces the application process for hiring an interim superintendent of schools
On June 25, Dr. Michael J. Martirano, Superintendent of Schools, informed the Board of Education (BOE) of his resignation to become the State Superintendent of Schools of West Virginia. Today, at its regularly scheduled Board of Education meeting, the Board determined the process for hiring an Interim Superintendent of Schools. On behalf of the entire Board of Education, Dr. Salvatore Raspa, Chairman of the Board of Education announced the following steps:
1. Effective immediately, the Board of Education will begin accepting applications for the position of Interim Superintendent of Schools. All applicants must have a minimum of five (5) years of administrative leadership experience in a PreK-12 educational organization.
2. Interested candidates are expected to submit a cover letter stating his/her intent, a copy of a current resume, and three references.
3. The application deadline is August 5, 2014, at 4:30 p.m. and all applications must be received by this time at the address below.
4. Application materials should be mailed to the following address:
The St. Mary's County Board of Education
P.O. Box 675
Leonardtown, MD 20650
CONFIDENTIAL ATTN: Dr. Salvatore Raspa, Chairman of the Board of Education
5. Applications will be reviewed by the Board of Education on August 6, 2014, in executive session with interviews beginning on August 8, 2014.
6. It is the Board's intention to announce the Interim Superintendent at its regularly scheduled meeting on August 13, 2014.
Dr. Raspa stated, "On behalf of the Board, it is the desire and intention of the Board of Education to run a transparent process that yields the best candidate to continue the great work for improving student achievement in St. Mary's County Public Schools."
If there are any questions pertaining to this process, please contact Sandra Battle, Administrative Assistant to the Board of Education, at 301-475-5511, ext. 32177.
Administrative appointment announced
The Superintendent of Schools announces the administrative appointment made by the Board of Education at its meeting of July 15, 2014.
The Board appointed Mr. David Howard as Director of Information Technology Services in the Department of Information Technology Services. Mr. Howard is currently serving as the Director of Information Technology Services with the College of Southern Maryland. He holds both a Bachelors degree and a Masters degree from University of Maryland University College.
This appointment will be effective on or about August 11, 2014.