Residential Fire Sprinklers Extinguish Kitchen Fire - Southern Maryland Headline News

Residential Fire Sprinklers Extinguish Kitchen Fire


CHARLES COUNTY, Md. (November 20, 2012) – Firefighters from Bryans Road Volunteer Fire Department responded to a kitchen fire at 2700 Hammock Court in Bryans Road this morning. The 2:37 a.m. fire was quickly extinguished by a fire sprinkler head located in the kitchen of the townhouse and limited the fire damage to the cabinet and vent hood above the stove with mild smoke and soot damage contained to the kitchen.

The occupant, Yvonne Wheatly received 1st and 2nd degree burns to both hands when trying to remove the smoldering pot from the stove surface. According to the Fire Marshals' Office, Wheatly felt very lucky to have the protections of the fire sprinkler system to ensure the fire did not cause more damage to the townhome.

The State Fire Marshal William E. Barnard stated, “This is yet another example of the effectiveness of automatic fire sprinklers in residential occupancies. Residential fire sprinklers save lives and property. The presence of fire sprinklers undoubtedly prevented a more tragic outcome.”

Sponsored Content

Reader Comments

Featured Sponsor

Garage Doors and More, LLC
Free New Garage Door Estimates. Discounts for Military and Senior Citizens!

Follow SoMd HL News