LA PLATA, Md. (January 25, 2012)—Vacant Navy housing near La Plata High School has been demolished, making way for future athletic fields and parking lots for students.
In November, the Interagency Committee on School Construction (IAC) approved the acquisition of the 19-acre site by Charles County Public Schools from the Federal Government and Southern Maryland Tri-County Community Action.
The site, which is adjacent to La Plata High School, will be used for athletic fields and outdoor curriculum support areas such as a cross country trail, walking for wellness classes, Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps training, a fine arts class, a nature trail, local community events, beautification and site clean up by student organizations, according to Superintendent James E. Richmond.
The property was owned by the federal government and contained 20 Navy townhouse units. The houses, built in 1952, were in serious disrepair, and had been vacant for many years. The property was transferred from the U.S. Department of Education as surplus federal real estate under a 1949 provision that allows to transfer educational institutions in return for the organization commitment to use the land and buildings for approved educational programs.
The Board of Education of Charles County contracted to have the houses demolished. Approximately $105,000 was used for asbestos removal and demolition of the existing housing. Site grounds maintenance will be absorbed within existing funding allocations.
Richmond said securing the property ensures space for a possible future renovation and expansion of La Plata High School.
Source: Charles County Public School System