"Friend's" 911 Call Brings Authorities En Masse to Attempted Suicide

LEONARDTOWN, Md. (May 16, 2011) - Maryland State Police say they have successfully rescued a 24-year-old man after barricading himself in his parent's home since 1:00 a.m. this morning.

Shortly after 10:00 a.m. today, police say the 24-year-old man, of Hawk Court in Leonardtown, surrendered to state police after multiple attempts made by negotiators from the Hostage Recovery Team and the Maryland State Police Special Tactical Assault Team Element (S.T.A.T.E. Team). The man exited the residence alone with self inflicted injuries. He was immediately taken into police custody and transported by ambulance to St. Mary's Hospital for medical evaluation.

Police say no one else was found in the residence. The man was reportedly alone when he barricaded himself in his parent's home.

Shortly before 1:00 a.m. Monday morning, troopers from the Leonardtown Barrack received a 9-1-1 call from a friend of the man's family, reporting the man was inside the home and threatening to harm himself and any police officer attempting to enter the residence. Troopers and Sheriff Deputies from the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office responded to the single family home.

Responding troopers established a perimeter around the house. Police say that due to the man's statements regarding his possession of weapons and explosives, troopers quickly notified nearby residences to evacuate until the situation was resolved. Area schools were also notified of the incident, but police determined that none were in close enough proximity to the home to be considered in danger.

Police say their negotiators maintained phone contact with the man, attempting to encourage him to surrender. Upon several attempts, he exited the residence and surrendered to police with what appeared to be self-inflicted lacerations on his wrists and other parts of his body. He was immediately taken into custody and transported to the hospital.

Troopers from the Leonardtown Barrack, the Office of the State Fire Marshal, the Maryland State Police Special Tactical Assault Team Element (S.T.A.T.E. Team), negotiators from the Hostage Recovery Team, Sheriff Deputies from the St. Mary's Sheriff's Office, and Trooper 7 from St. Mary's Aviation Section responded to the home. Leonardtown Rescue Squad and Volunteer Fire Department also assisted.

"The collective expertise of numerous experts in tactical operations and hostage negotiations contributed to accomplishing the overall goal of resolving the situation peacefully," according to a statement released by the State Police this afternoon.

Police say the St. Mary's County State's Attorney's Office has been notified and is working in coordination with the Maryland State Police as the investigation continues.

Featured Sponsor

Maryland Veterans Home Buyer Breakfast Event
Maryland Home Buyer Team of Real Estate Professionals Saturday, January 19, 2019 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM Golden…

Reader Comments

Featured Sponsor

Apartments of Wildewood
The area's premier rental community! Conveniently located to NAS PAXRVR and Solomons.

Need Legal Representation?

Three So. Maryland locations to serve you. Personal Injury, Criminal Defense, DUI Defense.

Follow SoMd HL News