Cause Determined in Sager Floor and Tile Fire


CALVERT COUNTY, Md (April 1, 2011) – Deputy State Fire Marshals have determined the cause for the two alarm building fire that consumed the Sager Floor and Tile business on March 17 was a result of the spontaneous combustion of stain and polyurethane soaked rags. The 10:22 p.m. fire at 100 Industrial Drive in Prince Frederick caused an estimated $1.5 million dollars in damage to the structure and contents of the 8,400 square foot metal building.

Fire investigators concluded the fire originated in the work area located to the rear of the warehouse. After an exhaustive examination of the evidence located at the area of origin, it was determined the rags used to apply stain and polyurethane to seventeen doors prior to the fire, had self-ignited and extended to nearby combustibles, say authorities.

Featured Sponsor

Brinsfield-Echols Funeral Home, P.A.
The Golden Rule Funeral Home, serving all of Southern Maryland.


Reader Comments

Featured Sponsor

Southern Maryland Higher Education Center
USMSM also offers facilities for your special events or corporate meetings!

Need Legal Representation?

Three So. Maryland locations to serve you. Personal Injury, Criminal Defense, DUI Defense.

Follow SoMd HL News