DUNKIRK, Md. (Nov. 19, 2008)—A barn fire in Dunkirk on Nov. 14 caused an estimated $20,000 in structural damage and another $10,000 in damages to the contents. The barn was declared a complete loss by the State Fire Marshal. The fire occurred just after 2:00 p.m. on property owned by Alfred Leech on McCracken Drive.
Twenty-four firefighters from the Dunkirk, Huntingtown, and North Beach fire departments took approximately 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.
Deputy State Fire Marshal Jeffrey Frye determined that the fire was started accidentally by an electrical failure.
The blaze was discovered by a neighbor.