$50,000 Offered in Five Water/Sewer Incidents
By Danita Boonchaisri
PRINCE FREDERICK, Md. (Sept. 22, 2008)—The Calvert County, Md., Board of County Commissioners announced today a $50,000 reward is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual(s) responsible for damages caused in five separate and sophisticated vandalism incidents at County wastewater pumping stations, sewer lines and facilities. The incidents occurred between May 9, 2007, and August 26, 2008, at various Calvert County locations and included:
1. Prince Frederick Wastewater Pump Station No. 3, Prince Frederick Blvd.: May 9, 2007; willful and malicious destruction resulting in severe damage to emergency standby pump
2. Fox Run Shopping Center: May 11, 2007: blocking of a manhole channel resulting in a sewage spill
3. Calvert County Industrial Park Water Pumping Station: September 20-21, 2007; willful and malicious destruction of a control panel and diesel fuel storage tank
4. Calvert Village Shopping Center: November 29, 2007; blocking of a sewer line resulting in a sewage spill
5. College of Southern Maryland, Prince Frederick Campus: August 26, 2008; disabling of a wastewater pumping station
"The reward is in place because of the seriousness of the situation. Continued willful and malicious vandalism of the County's water and sewer-related facilities is unacceptable in the opinion of this Board of County Commissioners," said BOCC President Wilson H. Parran. "When this criminal is apprehended, it is our intent to pursue a conviction with the most stringent penalty possible."
Anyone with information on any of these incidents is encouraged to call the Calvert County Sheriffs Office at 410-535-2800.