WALDORF, Md. (November 18, 2007)—A one-alarm fire in Waldorf on Friday caused approximately $75,000 dollars in damage to the structure and another $10,000 in damages to personal property, according to the State Fire Marshall Don Brenneman.
The wood frame, split foyer, single family dwelling is located in the 2000 block of Sandalwood Drive in Waldorf.
The fire started in the basement recreation room and was caused by a faulty extension cord which ignited nearby combustible materials. The fire was discovered by an occupant of the house.
Twenty-two firefighters responded from Waldorf, Bryans Road, Accokeek, and Potomac Heights. It took them twelve minutes to bring the blaze under control.
The occupants were displaced from the home by the fire and are being assisted by the local American Red Cross.