LA PLATA, Md. (Aug. 7, 2007) - The Charles County Commissioners and the Department of Emergency Services today announced that cooling centers will be operating at various locations throughout Charles County both today and tomorrow, Wednesday, August 8, due to the Heat Advisory that has been issued for our area by the National Weather Service (NWS).
The centers will serve as locations for members of the public to go to keep cool during the heat that is expected over the next few days. Strangely, despite the importance of maintaining the body's fluid levels during time of high heat, officials say that the centers will not be serving any food or drinks.
Residents over 60 years of age are encouraged to contact the Department of Community Services' Aging Division for any questions regarding assistance during heat advisories at 301-934-9305. Other inquiries may be made to the Department of Social Services at 301-932-6400.
The locations and phone numbers of the centers are as follows:
- Capital Clubhouse, 3033 Waldorf Marketplace, Waldorf, 301-932-4348
- Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 Charles Street, La Plata, 301-934-5423, 301-932-2077
- Nanjemoy Senior Center, 4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy, 301-246-9612, 301-753-1647
- La Plata Branch Library, 2 Garrett Avenue, La Plata, 301-934-9001
- PD Brown Memorial Branch Library, 50 Village Street, Waldorf, 301-645-2864
- Potomac Branch Library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Drive, Indian Head, 301-645-0555
- St. Charles Town Center Mall, 1110 Mall Circle, Waldorf, 301-932-3229
Government officials suggest that residents contact the particular locations to determine the times that they will be operating.