Charles County Community Center Heavily Damaged by Fire - Southern Maryland Headline News

Charles County Community Center Heavily Damaged by Fire

WALDORF, Md. (February 8, 2007) - Deputy State Fire Marshals have determined a malfunctioning oil furnace ignited a blaze that heavily damaged the Bannister Neighborhood Recreational Center in Waldorf this afternoon. The 4:45 p.m. blaze at 1001 Armes Drive caused an estimated $300,000 damage to the one story, masonry and wood frame structure.

Over thirty firefighters from Waldorf, Westlake, La Plata, Hughesville, and Bryans Road were able to control the fire in the unoccupied building in thirty minutes. There were no injuries.

The investigation revealed fire from the oil furnace broke through a ceiling and quickly spread into the wood framed roof. The building was not equipped with, nor required to have, an automatic fire sprinkler system.

Sponsored Content

Reader Comments

Featured Sponsor

Ed Tully - Residential Plus
I'm here to help you with any buying, selling, or renting of property needs.

Follow SoMd HL News