SCOTLAND - Over the weekend, Point Lookout State Park sustained significant damage from Tropical Depression Ernesto. While the Park has reopened for day-use and camping, several areas of the park remain closed. The Maryland Park Service (MPS), Maryland Natural Resources Police (NRP), and the State Highway Administration (SHA) are helping with clean-up and protection of the Park facilities.
Beginning Wednesday, September 6, Day-Use areas will partially re-open at 8 a.m. The following sections of the Park will remain closed until further notice.
* The Point Area, south of the Beach Picnic area, will remain closed for an extended period of time due to roadway damage and erosion on the Bay shoreline.
* The Fishing Pier will remain closed for an extended period of time due to damage to the deck, handrails, and lighting.
* The Civil War Museum and Marshland Nature Center will close for the season due to water damage.
* The Camp Store is closed due to water damage. The re-opening date has not been determined at this time.
* Campground facilities are currently closed. Individuals with reservations for campsites, cabins, cottage, and shelters from September 1- September 7 should contact the Reservations Service at 1-888-432-2267 in regard to refunds and re-booking. At this time the Park anticipates the campgrounds will re-open Friday, September 8, at 8 a.m.
Point Lookout State Park officials recommend that visitors contact the Park at 301-872-5688, to check on the re-opening status of certain sections of the Park prior to traveling to Point Lookout. To access the Parks website, http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/pointlookout.html
Dyson and Bohanan Call on Ehrlich to Declare St. Mary's a Disaster Area