SMECO released the following information regarding power outages at 5:45 p.m. today:
* Number of customers affected: approximately 8,700.
* SMECO has 11 line crews and one contractor crew working in Calvert.
Charles-Prince George's Region
* Number of customers affected: approximately 3,200 in Charles and Prince George's counties.
* SMECO has 17 line crews along with 4 contractor crews making repairs.
St. Mary's Region
* Number of customers affected: approximately 9,200
* Eight feeders affected
* In addition to SMECO's 16 crews, we have 4 contractor crews working in St. Mary's County, and 4 SMECO apparatus crews working on transmission line repairs
High winds have caused scattered outages throughout the service area. Restoration of power is ongoing despite the rain and wind. Crews are dispatched to make repairs as soon as possible in affected areas.
In addition to feeders and distribution lines, the transmission line serving the southern area of St. Mary's County was downed by falling trees. Transmission service to all substations has been restored by using alternate power lines.
The worst of the storm is expected to occur late this evening and we anticipate our customers' power will be restored on Saturday afternoon.