St. Mary's County Recreation, Parks and Community Services would like to inform the public that all Department sponsored programs have been canceled for this afternoon and evening due to the forecast for severe weather associated with tropical storm Ernesto.
Programs have been canceled at the following facilities:
* Chancellors Regional Park
* Carver Recreation Center
* Gymnastic Center
* Hollywood Recreation Center
* Leonard Hall Recreation Center
* Margaret Middle Recreation Center
* This includes all Department sponsored programs held in St. Mary's County Public Schools and includes the dance scheduled at Leonardtown Middle School.
* The Great Mills Swimming Pool (an update will be provided by early morning for 9/2)
* Nicolet Skate Park (closed both 9/1 and 9/2)
* Nicolet Sprayground (closed both 9/1 and 9/2)
* All athletic game and practice fields at all county parks (closed both 9/1 and 9/2)
Due to the SMCPS early dismissal for students, the Department's Before and After Care Centers will close one hour following the school early dismissal time; parents must pick up their children during that hour. The Infant Room will close at 3:30 p.m.
Updates for Saturday, September 2, 2006 will be provided at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow. Citizens should call the RP&CS cancellation line at (301) 475-4200 ext. 1840 or visit the Department's website at http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recreate/index.asp and click Announcements and Latest Updates.