St. Mary's Detectives Solve 1993 Valley Lee Murder - Southern Maryland Headline News

St. Mary's Detectives Solve 1993 Valley Lee Murder

On March 1st, 1993 Timothy Ryan Harper was found unconscious in his Valley Lee home suffering from at least one severe head injury. There were also several burns on his body. He was transported to Georgetown University Hospital where he never regained consciousness and died eight days later.

The death of Mr. Harper was classified as blunt force trauma by undetermined means. No arrests were made and the case eventually became inactive. It remained a 'Cold Case' until St. Mary's detectives received federal funds through a Byrne Grant provided by the Maryland Governor's Office of Crime Control and Prevention.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice: "The Edward Byrne Memorial State and Local Law Enforcement Assistance Grant Program (Byrne Formula Grant Program) is a partnership among federal, state, and local governments to create safer communities. BJA is authorized to award grants to states for use by states and units of local government to improve the functioning of the criminal justice system—with emphasis on violent crime and serious offenders—and enforce state and local laws that establish offenses similar to those in the federal Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802(6) et seq.)."

After receiving the grant, St. Mary's detectives reopened the investigation into the death of Mr. Harper. As a result, numerous witnesses were re-interviewed. A suspect was developed and the case eventually led Detectives to the State of Kansas and the city of Wichita.

Detectives located the suspect, David Lee Breyfogle (58 years of age of Wichita, Kansas), and began surveillance of his home and movements. At one point, detectives contacted the suspect at his home and conducted an interview which allowed them to gain important additional information. Detectives were in continuous contact with the St. Mary's County States Attorney's Office. Shortly after the interview, Mr. Breyfogle was placed under arrest. A search and seizure warrant was executed on Mr. Breyfogle's home and several items were seized.

Mr. Breyfogle and Mr. Harper had been friends for several years prior to the Victim's death. On the night of February 28th, 1993 the suspect was at the victim's Valley Lee home when an argument ensued. While cooking on the stove, Mr. Breyfogle allegedly utilized a black iron skillet to strike the Victim at least one time rendering him unconscious. The victim was placed on the couch and Mr. Breyfogle left the residence, returning to his then home (then Fredericksburg, VA).

Mr. Breyfogle then relocated to the State of Kansas where he remained until his arrest on June 24, 2006. He is currently being detained in the Wichita Kansas Detention Center and he will remain there until the extradition process is completed.

The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Department expressed special thanks to the Wichita Police Department and the Kansas Office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for their assistance.


Edward Byrne Memorial State and Local Law Enforcement Assistance Grant Program

Sponsored Content

Reader Comments

Featured Sponsor

Shelley's Pet Boutique in Hollywood
Professional grooming for your pet. Serving Southern Maryland for over 15 years.

Follow SoMd HL News