The Community Development Corporation, Inc., under the direction of the St. Mary's County Board of Commissioners, is supervising the redevelopment of the Lexington Manor (Flattops) property, which is underway with demolition of all but two of the homes. The two homes will be refurbished, and signs will be placed near them explaining the historical significance to the St. Mary's County and Patuxent River Naval Air Station.
The signs are made possible through a generous donation by Navmar Applied Sciences Corporation. Headquartered in Chester, Pennsylvania, Navmar has had an office in St. Mary's County since 1996. Navmar provides support to Patuxent River Naval Air Station in the areas of acoustics, avionics, air vehicles, sensors, system integration, and prototyping.
"Navmar's contribution represents a community working together to achieve the best for our future generations while respecting and preserving our past, said Thomas F. McKay, President, St. Mary's County Board of Commissioners. We are very grateful for their support and partnership in this effort."
Anyone who lived in Lexington Park's first development in its early days who would like to lend historic photographs for the sign effort should contact Teresa Wilson, Historic Preservation Planner, Department of Land Use and Growth Management, 301-475-4200 X 1549.
The St. Mary's County Board of County Commissioners acquired the Lexington Manor property in December 2004 to eliminate residential encroachment of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station and spur revitalization in Lexington Park. In September 2005, the Board authorized the St. Mary's County Community Development Corporation, Inc. to manage the Lexington Manor redevelopment process.
Satellite imagery of the redevelopment area
Washington Post Article - St. Mary's Board to Let Nonprofit Group Head Lexington