The Board of County Commissioners for St. Mary's County and the Department of Recreation, Parks & Community Services are pleased to announce that the County has accepted the donation of approximately 21,023 square feet of land (0.483 acres) adjacent to the Abell's Wharf Public Landing from the Arundel Corporation for public use.
The County has leased the property since 2002 to provide a public parking area adjacent to the Abell's Wharf boat ramp and pier. In 1998, Florida Rock Properties, Inc. donated approximately 6,160 square feet of land (0.14 acres) to the County for use in conjunction with the public landing. On Tuesday, November 22, 2005, The Arundel Corporation donated the remaining out parcel to the County for public use for a total donation of 0.623 acres.
"The donation of land adjacent to the Abell's Wharf Public Landing will play an important role in ensuring that St. Mary's County citizens have appropriate parking and facilities at our public landings," stated Commissioner President Thomas F. McKay. "On behalf of the citizens of the County, the Commissioners would like to publicly thank The Arundel Corporation, Florida Rock Properties and local Maryland Rock staff for making this donation a reality to enhance public access to our waterways."
For additional information on the donation of land adjacent to the Abell's Wharf Public Landing or for information on any of the County owned and operated public landings, please call the RP&CS Department at (301) 475-4200 ext. 1811. For general information about public landings, parks or other recreational facilities, visit the County website at http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recreate/facilities/asp.