No, were not talking about driving; were talking about your pet dog or cat. All dogs and cats in Calvert County must have a county pet license an ordinance that has been in effect for many, many years. Through the increased efforts of Calvert County Animal Control, the help of local veterinarians, and other sources we are able to better enforce pet licensing this year. During the year of 2005, we sold approximately 2500 pet licenses. So far for the license year 2006 which began July 1, 2005, we have sold over 4,000 pet licenses and are currently selling more each day.
The pet license is mandated through the county ordinance and has minimal requirements.
- You must show proof of the current rabies certificate along with documentation indicating whether your pet has been spayed or neutered.
- The fee is $5.00 for those that are spayed or neutered. For dogs and cats that are not, the fee is $15.00.
This ordinance also applies to dogs and cats that are strictly inside pets --many citizens believe the ordinance only applies to those pets kept outside. Tags are good for one year (July 1 through June 30) and must be re-purchased annually.
There are advantages to purchasing your pet license:
- To obtain a pet license you must have a current rabies shot, this is for the protection of your pet as well as others.
- If a pet is lost, Animal Control will be able to locate the owner through the pet license owner information on file with Animal Control at the Sheriffs Office.
- A current tag also indicates to officers and other citizens that your pet is not a stray animal.
- Some of the pet license funding can go toward education for children to teach about proper care of animals and kindness to animals.
- We are able to provide some programs to community groups about animal care as well.
With the required documentation (rabies certificate & proof of spay/neuter), please see your local veterinarian in Calvert County, Animal Control (Sheriffs Office), Calvert County Treasurers Office, Calvert Humane Society, Tri County Animal Shelter, or Woodburns Market to purchase your pet license.
Remember, it is for the safety of your pet and the community!