Calvert County, Maryland-The Calvert County Office of Animal Control would like to remind everyone that May 1st, 2005 to May 7th, 2005 it Be Kind to Animals Week.
The spirit of Be Kind to Animals Week can be celebrated year-round. Here are some ideas to show your compassion to animals.
1. Spay or Neuter your pets-This is a big step to controlling pet over population
2. Adopt a shelter pet-Also let others know that the shelter is the best place to find a new pet.
3. Be an animal advocate-Speak out for those who cant speak for themselves.
4. Memorize your local animal control phone number-In case you see a loose or lost pet. The Calvert County Animal Control number is 410-535-1600 ext. 2526
5. Never tolerate animal cruelty-Report animal abuse to your local humane society or animal control agency.
6. Be kind to animals in your back yard-Put out a bird feeder or birdbath.
7. Recycle-Anything thats good for the environment is good for animal habitats too.
8. Donate to your local animal shelter-Remember, a donation can mean many different things-ask to see if they need laundry detergent, bleach, copy paper, computer supplies, camera film, postage stamps, or your time.
9. Cut the plastic rings from six-packs into small pieces-Uncut, these rings are dangerous to wildlife.
10. Lend a hand to friends in need-Volunteer to walk their dog or play with their cat.
Pets in Calvert County are required to be licensed. The license year runs from July 1st to June 30th. Pet licenses are $15.00 per pet; however, if your pet is spayed or neutered the fee will be reduced to $5.00 per pet. Pet licenses help in many ways. They ensure your pet has an up-to-date rabies vaccination and can help reunite lost pets with their owners. Licenses may be purchased at the following locations:
The Calvert County Sheriffs Office
The Calvert County Treasures Office
Solomons Veterinary Clinic
Tri County Animal Shelter
Calvert Animal Hospital
Chesapeake Animal Clinic
Calvert Humane Society
Chesapeake SPCA or any Calvert County Animal Control Officer.
For more information on Be Kind to Animals Week or Pet Licensing regulations, you can contact The Calvert County Animal Control Office at 410 535-1600 ext 2526