Southern Maryland Volunteer Firemen's Association
11595 Terrace Drive
Contact via E-Mail
View Map via:
Google Maps :
The Southern Maryland Volunteer Firemen's Association (SMVFA) first records indicate attempts to organize the regional fire service in an effort to improve fire insurance rates, promote a kindly spirit among its members and strive to improve the service to the community. This effort, first attempted prior to 1937, was reorganized on April 17, 1947 with Col. Roland B. Duke, of Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department and President of the St. Mary's County Firemen's Association as its acting Chairman and Henry J. Fowler of the Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department as the first Secretary. At the first meeting, held at Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department, a committee was established to develop by-laws for the SMVFA. The fire companies attending this reorganization meeting were Calvert County VFD, North Beach VFD, Hughesville VFD, Lexington Park VFD, Leonardtown VFD, and Mechanicsville VFD. The first seal of the association was presented at a meeting on August 6, 1947 by Ben Poindexter of the Lexington Park VFD. This seal continues to be used and displayed by the association to this date. During the years to follow, fire prevention and training continued to be a major part of the purpose for the association.