Society for the Restoration of Port Tobacco
P.O. Box 302
Contact via E-Mail
The Colonial port town of Port Tobacco served as the seat of Charles County from 1727-1895, but its history extends from the prehistoric Native American inhabitants of Potopaco to the current residents of the town. The Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing public interest in the heritage of Port Tobacco and Southern Maryland. The Society was established in 1948 and its efforts continue to be accomplished through the collection and preservation of related historical documents and artifacts. Ongoing research will be conducted into the customs and skills of town settlers and past residents. Early buildings and sections of the town will be restored or reconstructed for appropriate uses including: exhibiting materials, educational use and appropriate civic events.