Southern Maryland Online - Serving Calvert County, Charles County, St. Mary's County, Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Naval Surface Warfare Center.  Click here to go to the Front Page of
| Write Us | Help | Sponsors | Classifieds | Employment | Forums | MarketPlace | Calendar | Headlines | Announcements | Weather | More... |


2008 Holiday Season Guide Main Page

How You Can Help Others

How to Get Help if You Are in Need

Crisis Intervention Hotlines

Local Activities and Events

Gift Ideas

Find a Tree and Greenery

Recycle Your Tree

Where to Find Santa

Christmas Photos

Other Good Guides...


How Christmas Lights Work

Christmas Questions - ANSWERED!

The Night Before Christmas

The History of Hanukkah

Virtual Hanukkah

Christmas Around the World

Christmas Karaoke!

Poinsettia Care

Hanukkah Singalong

The History of Kwanzaa

How To Get Help If You Are In Need...

If you find yourself in financial need this holiday season, we hope the following resources will help.  Please also check the How You Can Help Others page for a list of organizations that can help you.  Local Churches may also be able to help you.

Help Paying the Utility Bills

The Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) helps low-income Maryland citizens pay their heating bills, minimize heating crises, and make energy costs more affordable. For more information and on-line applications, visit their website or call:

Prince George’s County: 301-909-6300.
Calvert County: 410-535-1010
Charles County: 301-274-4474
St. Mary’s County: 301-475-5574

If you are unable to get help through MEAP, you can try the following resources:

Calvert County

  • Department of Social Services 443-550-6900
  • SMILE, Inc. 410-326-2684

Charles County

  • Department of Social Services 301-392-6400
  • Catholic Community Services 301-934-2582
  • Lifestyles of MD Foundation Inc. 301-609-9900
  • Waldorf Jaycee’s 301-645-4546 (written request required at least a week in advance)
  • Children’s Aid 301-645-1561 (must have children in the household)
  • VFW/American Legion Posts (Must be a veteran)
  • Salvation Army/WAFF 301-638-9532 (call first for appointment)

St. Mary's County

  • Department of Social Services 240-895-7000 (Leonardtown)
  • 240-725-5700 (Lexington Park)
  • Catholic Community Services 301-769-2788

Shelters and Food

You can find a complete list of local shelters in our community guide.  There is also a good story about local shelters by Tina Wagner called Shelter from the Storm.

If you are in need of food, please see our page on Meals for the Needy.  The Salvation Army and Catholic Community Services (formerly Catholic Charities) can help with food, housing and rent assistance.  You can find contact information here for each organization in each of the three counties here.

The Southern Maryland Tri-County Community Action Committee is a private non-profit organization committed to combating poverty in Southern Maryland.  Contact them for emergency food needs.  Additionally, they provide training and employment assistance, medical assistance for the elderly, and help paying your heating bills.  They also run the Head Start program which is an early childhood development program.  You can also call them on 301-274-4474, 301-475-5574, or 410-535-1010.  They are located in Hughesville, Md.

Virtually Everything, Inc.
The company which proudly brings you So. Md. Online!



Warning: fopen( failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/somdcom/public_html/includes/rssparser.php on line 168