Layered Spaghetti Casserole
Submitted by: Susan Coster
- 1/2 of a 1 lb. pkg. of vermicelli (any old spaghetti will do), broken in half.
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef
- 3 tbsp. olive oil (I use any old oil) and don't even measure the oil
- l lg. onion, chopped (any size onion will do)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 32-oz. container of prepared spaghetti sauce
- 1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I just use Kraft out of the can)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Prepare vermicelli according to directions (boil- ha ha). Drain. In large skillet, brown ground beef and drain. Set beef aside. In same skillet (or different (who cares), heat oil; add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Stir in beef and spaghetti sauce. Simmer 10 minutes.
In medium bowl (again who cares what size), blend ricotta, egg and Parmesan cheese.
In lightly greased 13 x 9 in. baking dish, layer one-half each vermicelli, ricotta mixture, spaghetti/meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Cover. Bake at 350 degree oven until hot, about 30 minutes.
Makes 6-8 servings. (If you prepare this early day and have it refrigerated, it will need longer in the oven to bake - @ an hr. or so.)