The Charles County Commissioners will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, Sept. 13 to accept oral and written comments on the legislative proposals to revise or amend existing state law. The hearing will be held at 6 p.m. in the Commissioners' Meeting Room at the Charles County Government Building (200 Baltimore Street, La Plata).
Thirteen proposals have been submitted to date and will be available for viewing at www.boarddocs.com/md/chrlsco/Board.nsf/Public
. The author of each proposal is asked to attend the public hearing to present a brief synopsis of the initiative and to answer any questions that may arise from those in attendance. Work sessions will be scheduled following the public hearing to review the legislative proposals and determine which ones will be included in the County Commissioners' 2017 General Assembly Legislative Package and forwarded to the Charles County Delegation for their consideration.
The following is a list of the proposals:
• Expand law to create tiered system for veteran benefits.
• Regulate animal breeders and mandate spay and neuter of Southern Maryland animals.
• Implement Maryland House Joint Resolution 8 from the 2016 General Assembly session to amend the U.S. Constitution to affirm the right to vote, reserve inalienable political rights, and regulate contributions and expenditures aimed to influence elections.
• Amend law to require scrap yards to report cell tower batteries.
• Expand law to prohibit manufacture, sale, and use of BB and air pellet guns that look like authentic firearms.
• Expand law to require funding for all law enforcement to participate in De-escalation Training.
• Expand law to require funding for affordable after-school programs at community centers.
• Amend law to require licensee or designated supervisor is certified by alcohol awareness program and present on premises at all times.
• Amend law to remove $750 fine cap for first offenders selling alcohol to underage individuals.
• Expand the law to include foreclosing lenders in the definition of owner.
• Amend law to authorize collective bargaining for full-time public safety officers.
• Amend law to levy a development tax on new residential development.
• Authorize the county to offer additional business tax credits
For more information, contact Ms. Lisa Bailey, Office of the County Attorney at 301-645-0555 or BaileyL@CharlesCounty.org. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.